Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Welcome Piper!

Piper Jane Bills
September 23, 2012
1:50 PM
8 LBS 7 OZ
20.75 INCHES

We have finally welcomed our little baby girl into our family this week.  She came out so beautiful and full of life.  She also came with a strong set of lungs as she cried for about a full hour after she was born.  (I would too if I came the way she did.)

READ ON FOR HER BIRTH STORY---(Pictures are at the end if you want to skip the whole story.)

For about a week before Piper joined us, at least once a day I thought my water had broken, but I would give it about an hour and then I would be dry so I concuded that it was just sweat from the hot days we have been having.  I went to the Doctor on Friday and she checked if I was progressing and said that I was at 4 cm dialated and 90% effaced.  She said that she was really scared that she was going to break my water while she was checking and that she would be shocked if I lasted to the next appointment.

My mom came into town on Saturday night, and I was wanting to be sure to have the baby at the beginning of her trip instead of toward the end.  So I walked around the parking lot at IKEA for abot an hour while waiting for my mom's plane to land.   Then Jason suggested that we shouldn't be walking so much because I wanted to be able to go to Emerson's first Primary Program the following day.  So I stopped and was going to continue walking a lot the next day after church. 

I slept the whole night on Sunday and woke up at 6:57 AM needing to run to the bathroom and when I was done, it wouldn't stop.  My water definately had broken!  So I woke everyone up, and we headed to the hospital. 

On the way to the hospital, I started having some minor contraction, but not very bad.  We arrived at the hospital abour 8:00 am.  Once I was at the hospital, they took me to Triage to be sure that I was in labor and that my water had really the gushing amounts of water wasn't enough.  They checked me while I was in Triage.  I was at 6 cm and still 90%  effaced, and my water had definately broken according to their test, so it was time to take my to the Labor and Delivery room at about 8:45 am. 

Once I was in my room and the got the dreaded IV in (which was the best one I have ever gotten), came the big question that had been looming over me my whole pregnancy...natural or epidural?  I realized at that point that I hadn't done any realy research on the topic, but knew that the epidural was so scary before.  So, I decided that I was going to try it with no epidural as long as I could handle it in hopes that I could do it naturally. 

At 11:30 am, they checked me again and I was still at 6 cm and 100% effaced and in a WHOLE LOT of pain!  So I decided that I would try to IV pain meds before moving on to an epidural. Those drugs we fantastic!  I was able to rest and not be a huge amount of pain. After about 45 minutes the pain started coming back and it was full force again after an hour.  I got a second round of the meds at 12:30 and was able to rest again.  Then at 1:15, the pain started to come back and this time a whole lot more painful than before. 

My doctor came in at 1:20 and decided to check my progress.  I was still at 6 cm, and my contractions had become a lot less frequent and irregular during the last hour.  So, she decided to give me a whisp of pitocin in hopes that it would make me progress a little faster.  With the dreaded news of still being a 6 after 6 hours of labor, I asked for the epidural.  They had me use the restroom before I got the epidural.  While using the restroom, I had a couple contractions and  I felt really constipated and needing to go.  I decided that I didn't want to deal with that I would use stool softener after and deal with all that after the baby got here.  So, I went out to get my epidural.  At that point they kicked my mom out of the room and had Jason go hold my legs.  I had a couple terrible contractions while they were explaining the epidural and practicing putting it in.  Then she started the epidural.  In the middle of her putting it in, I just had to poop and it wasn't going to stay in until after the baby came.  The anesthesiologist finished up putting the catheder in my back while I was crying and the most painful poop I had ever had was coming with no way to stop it!  As soon as she finished, the nurse got me on my back and took off my pad and said "the head's here!!!"  This is when the chaos started!  I must have gone into a shock of some kind because I could not stop screaming because of the extreme pain. 

*This is the point where Jason had to tell me the details because I didn't really get them outside of the constant screaming.*

The nurse pulled the emergency cord and flocks of nurses came running in and the doctor came rushing in.  When the doctor came in, Piper's head was already out and all she needed to do was get me to push the body out.  Before they could get the bed broken down,she had me push three times, and Piper was here!!!   

Since my Mom was in the hall, she has a different point of view.  I will get her to write it and I will add it too.

After arriving, Piper screamed for about the first hour of life.  They went and cleaned her up before they gave her to me and then she just laid on my chest crying.  I didn't really even see what she looked like until she was about a half hour old.  But when I did, I saw such a beautiful baby!  I am already so in love with this sweet little Piper Jane.  I am so lucky to have her as my daughter and to get to raise her and watch her grow. 

Welcome to our little family Piper Jane!

1 comment:

Casandra said...

Oh congratulations! I'm so happy for you. Hope all is well.