Thursday, May 14, 2009

Milk and Water Concoction

I just started taking a class on Portrait Photography by Candice Stringham over at http://www.jessicasprague.com/. This is the second week of the class and I am loving it. I am learning so much already.

This week we are learning about lighting-specifically the use of window light indoors. I decided that I needed some practice. So I decided that while Emerson was busy with his concoction of milk and water (this is a pretty normal thing for the boy to do) that I would take some pictures of him and practice with the indoor window light.
This is a poor example of side lighting...but still a really cute picture.
To make side lighting better, you can add a reflector. Which will fill in a bunch of the shadows on the opposite side. So, here I practiced with the reflector. (Cute, huh?)
This is without the reflector:
These next two are with:
Here is Emerson without the reflector again.
And finally here he is with his new "funny" (a.k.a. super adoreable) face with the reflector.
I hope that you enjoyed looking at my practice photos. I had a really awesome model. I will be sure to keep you updated on his modeling career throughout this class.
If you are interested: all the pictures are straight out of the camera. NO editing. I think that they turned out pretty well considering.

8 comments:

Emily Christiansen said...

I think it is so awesome that my sister's are all really pursuing photography and learning all the techniques.

Emerson is adorable in these photos, by the way.

Julie said...

He is getting hair!

sixpickychicks said...

You are amazing and so is your model...I love them both.

Lisa and Dan said...

I did enjoy the pictures. Emerson is a cute little boy. I like the first and last pictures the best. He's way cute in them. Good job on your lighting pictures. What do you use as a reflector? Very cool you get to take classes.

Amber said...

Still such a cutie! I think it's great that you're taking up a new hobby. Props to you. The pictures look great! Want to come do some for us?

Amber said...

Wow! Great pictures. I'd like to look into those classes too. Your little man is so cute!

Emma Crowther said...

He is so cute. It's been almost a year since I last saw you guys, but I am happy to say he still looks like a baby to me and not a toddler. I love the name Emerson.

Lyle said...

That looks like a tasty finger.